Wednesday, January 4, 2012

A Future for my Old Jeans

I just finished a second larger bucket tonight. The process was a little more intuitive this second time around, but I still had the same problems with crooked stitches and untidy areas at the end of the seams. I think I am going to get out some scrap fabric in the next few days and just practice sewing straight lines. Maybe I can figure out what is happening at the end of my seams as well. It would be nice to have a teacher to answer my questions...they are probably really simple, common beginner mistakes. It might not be a bad idea to look around and see if anyone I know locally has friends who sew. In the meantime, your kind words and good advice are always appreciated.



I have more fabric for some buckets for my boys, but I think I am going to do something else next and come back to the buckets again later...after I finally finish those toddler pants that are still waiting on elastic, of course.

So, I have a pair of old jeans - my absolute favorite early pregnancy jeans that also happen to be my absolute favorite normal life jeans as well. They recently wore through in the knee and it makes me too sad to throw them out so I have been wearing them anyway. Very nineties of me, I know.

I was thinking that I might be able to somehow turn them into a short jean skirt. If I cut above the hole and tear out the inner thigh seams and then work a piece of fabric from the part of the legs that I cut off into the center. Would that not look like a skirt of some sort? I can picture it in my head, but I am not sure if it will at all become what I am envisioning. But what do I have to lose. Otherwise, the jeans will just go in the trash. So, maybe they will still go in the trash after I have some fun with them. Or maybe it will work out perfectly.

I will let you know what happens...


1 comment:

  1. Wow, I think your buckets came out beautifully! I'm wanting to try those, too, and am happy to see they are somewhat of a beginner project. Looking forward to seeing your sewing journey this year!
    -Jaime

    ReplyDelete