Thursday, December 22, 2011

How Sewing Makes Me Grateful

I put on my trench coat the other day and suddenly realized how incredibly complex it must have been to make. I bought it a long time ago, about 5 years I think, and it is still in really incredible condition. That is nice, of course. Mostly, though, I noticed how many seams there were, how many different pieces of fabric came together to make that one single item of clothing that keeps me warm and dry on a regular basis.


I may have understood the human rights issues at stake in the fight against sweatshops and such. However, before I started sewing I never understood the true and immense value of this work, which is something so complex that I cannot even begin to fathom creating this jacket myself. I know it is worth well over the amount that I paid for it.

I wanted to take this moment to thank those people out there whose labor goes into clothing me. You have my awe and my gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment