Monday, December 19, 2011

Finished in One Day!



I cannot believe I actually finished Evan's belt in one day. I am not sure how long it took me total - I worked in a few short sessions between kids' naps and other things - but I am done and cleaned up already and it is barely ten o'clock.


The belt was really quick to make, but I do not know if that means it was simple. I had a hard time working with something so small - it is only three-quarters of an inch wide - and I could not get the stitches as close to edge of the belt as I would have liked. I am not sure how to line my stitches up if my seam allowance is so small and I cannot seem to get a straight, even seam. Even so, I was able to stitch close enough to the edge that the fabric edges are tightly folded inside.



The hardest part was the end of the belt where I looped the d-rings on. The fabric was so thick that it was hard to hold tightly and I could not get a good grip on it to stay even. I pulled it out a few times and then just settled for less than perfect. It might look better if the stitches went all the way around the edges, but I am not sure how to do that. As is, I had to end my seam away from the edge of the fabric and it almost looks accidental that there are stitches there at all. Not the prettiest work, but it will hold.


I think I am going to try another belt like this for myself at some point. Maybe I can improve on this one with a wider piece of fabric so I can get better control over it.

In any case, I think my little guy will go crazy for this belt, even if it is not perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment